Passwords made easy
Passwords are a pain. To make your life easier, we have answered some common password questions.
An effective password that is difficult to hack is:
- 8 characters or more
- The longer it is, the stronger it is
- Contain uppercase letters, lower case letters, numbers and special characters
- Does not contain personal information
- If one account is hacked, the rest are secure
Not sure if your password is effective? Take this quick quiz to find out.
- Come up with a phrase that is unique to you and cannot be easily guessed. (I want to go to Hawaii in the winter)
- Capitalize the nouns. (I want to go to Hawaii in the Winter)
- Add numbers or replace letters with numbers. (1 want to go to Hawa11 in the Winter)
- Add special character(s) in the middle of the phrase.(1%want to go to Hawa11 in the Winter)
Note: If the account provider doesn't allow spaces, replace the spaces with special characters. (1#want#to#go#to#Hawa11#in#the#Winter)
Looking for some other easy password creation ideas? Check out these links:
Having difficulty remembering all those passwords? Use a password manager like KeePass2. It will generate passwords for you, store them and let you login with three key strokes. All you have to remember is your master password.
Worried that it will be hacked? All the data in KeePass is encrypted and unreadable without the key, the master password. Even if it is hacked the information will be useless to anyone without the master password.
KeePass2 is available on every Mount Royal workstation. Want it for your home computer? Visit the site. It is free to download.