What is FOIP?
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act is Provincial legislation that has three parts...
- Freedom of Information or Part 1 of the Act, provides people with a right-of-access to records in the custody or control of public bodies, including access to their own records, subject to specific exceptions set out in the Act. Mount Royal University is a public body under the FOIP Act.
- Protection of Privacy or Part 2 of the Act, provides the rules and provisions that control how Mount Royal University may collect, use, and disclose personal information in order to protect the privacy of individuals.
- Roles and Powers of Information and Privacy Commissioner and Reviews and Complaints or Part 3 of the Act, outlines the role and powers of the Information and Privacy Commissioner as well as how to pursue reviews and complaints regarding access to information or protection of privacy.
What is Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)?The Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) is Federal legislation, which primarily regulates the sending of "commercial electronic messages" (CEMs) and came into effect on July 1, 2014 that applies to most organizations in Canada, including Mount Royal University. The legislation also regulates other activities such as altering transmission data, installing computer programs and collecting personal information without consent, as well as making false or misleading representations for on-line promotions.
Commercial Electronic Messages (CEMs) are any electronic messages (e.g. email and texts) that encourage participation in a commercial activity, regardless of whether or not there is an expectation of profit. Participation in a commercial activity may be encouraged through the content in the body of the message, content landed on through a hyperlink in the message, or through the contact information contained in the message.
If the communication is commercial and is not considered a Core Activity (exempt), you will need consent to send it.
For information regarding the CASL program, please contact the Information Management and Privacy Advisor.
To view a list of core activities, access the (CASL) MRU Anti-Spam Resource Centre via MyMRU under the Employee tab.
What is Records and Information Management (RIM)?
The Mount Royal University Records and Information Management (RIM) program is responsible for providing the systematic control of University business records throughout their entire lifecycle, which includes their creation, receipt, maintenance, use, and final disposition.
For information regarding the RIM program, please contact the Information Management and Privacy Advisor.
To view available resources, access the (FOIP) (RIM) Toolkit via MyMRU under the Employee tab.
IT security awareness
- Staying secure at MRU - email, flash drives and mobile devices
- Routinely changing your MyMRU password
- Purchase card industry (PCI) data security standard (MRU)
- Report a payment card security incident