Practicum & Field Experience

Field Experience and Practicum



Year One Field Experience in Fall and Winter Terms 
Year Two  Field Experience in Fall and Winter Terms 
Year Three Practicum I in the Fall Term
Year Four  Practicum II in the Winter Term 



Year One

Year Two 

Year Three 

Year Four 


Police Information and Vulnerable Sector Check Requirements

Teacher Candidates in all program years must obtain a valid Police Information and Vulnerable Sector Check within six months of their Field Experience or Practicum start date. A letter from the department is provided to newly admitted teacher candidates so they can receive reduced fees in their admissions package. Current students will receive this letter via email. If you require further information, then please contact


Important Resources for Professional Preparation 

Alberta Teachers' Association 

Taking Flight - Navigating Field Experience: The website contains comprehensive information and resources for student teachers (teacher candidates). 
Professional Code of Conduct: Review this document before beginning your field experiences and/or practicum. You must be familiar with the legal frameworks and guidelines.

Teacher Qualifications Services: The Teaching Qualification Services (TQS) of the Alberta Teachers' Association evaluates all post-secondary education for salary purposes. You must apply to TQS for assessment in the final semester of your program. 

Alberta Education

Professional Practise Standards: This website provides information about provincial standards and why they are important for teachers to understand. 

Teaching Quality Standards: The Teaching Quality Standards document from Alberta Education informs how teacher candidates are evaluated in their year one and two Field Experiences, year three Practicum I and year four Practicum II. 

Teaching Certification: Professional Standards Branch of Alberta Education certifies teachers in Alberta. Graduating students should apply to Alberta Education for certification in the final semester of their degree program. Please access the Teacher Workforce Information Systems (TWINS) Self-Service to apply.