Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions

Please visit our Program Advising page to find the advising information for your program. We also host a series of Tutorials that can be useful in helping you choose and register for courses. You can find contact information for your specific Academic Advisor on our Who is My Advisor page.

In situations where a student lives outside of Calgary advisors will provide long distance advising over the phone, or more commonly, via email.

Students are encouraged to read through the information in their Program Advising Guide and refer to the Tutorials on the website. These pages teach students how to appropriately choose their courses to work towards their program goals.

Course registration is completed online through your mymru account. Check the Tutorials section of the Advising website for help with Registration.

If you experience difficulties registering for courses, you can contact the Registration Help Line at 403.440.3303 or toll-free 1.877.676.0686.

If you are having difficulty using (or logging into) MyMRU, take a look at the tutorial: Activating your MyMRU account.

If you are experiencing difficulties with your account, you can contact the ITS Help Desk at 403.440.6000 or 1.888.708.5508.

If you do not know which courses to register for, please visit the Progam Advising section of our website.

You may purchase one from the bookstore. Visit the Bookstore for more information.

The current calendar is also available online as a PDF document.
It is possible to register in courses when you are not yet in the program. Many first year courses are open to students in any degree, diploma, University Entrance and Open Studies. When registering for classes, make note of any program restrictions and/or pre-requisites to know whether or not you can register for that class.

General Education courses are also a good choices for courses to take before gaining admission to your intended program.
Some programs do have a winter intake. For a list of available winter programs, consult Admissions and Recruitment Office in room B156 or call 403.440.5000. Toll Free: 1.877.440.5001.
A full-time student must be registered in a minimum of nine credits per semester to a maximum of 15 credits per semester. A part-time student is one who registers in fewer than nine credits per semester.

For the purposes of: government funding, living in residence or playing on a MRU sports team, you must be a full-time student in each of the Fall and Winter semesters. 

Consult the Critical Dates section of the website for the last day to adjust your schedule. Should you drop a class before this time, it will not appear on your transcript and you will be given a refund.

After this date, leaving a course would be counted as a withdrawal. Withdrawals do appear on your transcript as a "W" grade and no refund is available. This grade will not be calculated into your GPA, but will count as an attempted course for administrative purposes. Please note that some programs limit the number of attempts of a class and a withdrawal does count as an attempt.

Please note that you may not withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline, which can be found on the Critical Dates section of the website.
Some programs at Mount Royal limit the number of attempts allowed at specific courses. . To find out if your program limits the number of attempts please check the Academic Calendar. Your academic advisor can also clarify this information with you. 
It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all pre-requisites are met prior to registering for a class.  In some cases, a course may include a notation of "departmental approval", in which case a student may request an override for a pre-requisite directly from the Department Chair.
Official post-secondary transcripts are required from all post-secondary institutions previously attended in order to be assessed for admission assessment and transfer credit. These courses will be assessed, and if applicable, used to satisfy prerequisites where applicable. The equivalencies will be listed on your Mount Royal transcript and in your mruGradU8 audit.

You can also check transfer equivalencies through your mruGradU8 audit. You will see which courses transferred and also what you can do if you want to have previous coursework evaluated for specific transfer equivalency.
Generally speaking a grade of "D" is not a failing grade and you will receive credit for the class. However, some classes and programs require a mark of C- or better for prerequisite and graduation purposes. Course pre-requisites are included in the Course Listings webpage and the Academic Calendar.

You should also know that a "D" grade is below a 2.0 and can negatively affect your Academic Standing. Please review the Student Success tutorial on Academic Standing for more information.
All Mount Royal Degree, Applied Degree and Diploma programs require students to meet General Education requirements. The General Education component requires students to take a combination of courses from four clusters. The clusters are: Cluster 1: Numeracy and Scientific Literacy; Cluster 2: Values, Beliefs, and Identity; Cluster 3: Community and Society; Cluster 4: Communication. Please check your mruGradU8 audit for the specific General Education requirements for your program. 
An elective is any 3 credit course (or equivalent) course that does not fulfill either a program requirement or a general education requirement.  Electives provide you with flexibility to pursue other subjects of interest outside your program. (Two 1.5 HPED courses can be used to fulfill an 3 credit elective). 
Important dates and timelines can be found on the home page in your account. They are also found on the  Mount Royal website under Credit Registration's Critical Dates page and in the Academic Calendar.
Your Registration Access Date appears on MyMRU under the Register & Pay tab. Consult the Critical Dates page to see when your Registration Access Date will be posted.
An Advising hold requires students to meet with their Academic Advisors prior to registration. You can also find advising information in your Program Advising guide that will provide you with relevant advising information.
Students can add themselves to a waitlist for courses during registration and prior to the waitlist deadline. Please check the Registering for Classes tutorial for the specific procedure to wailtist.
If a class that you are waitlisted for has space available, you will be automatically placed in the class. You will know if this has occurred by logging onto MyMRU and checking the Register: Add/Drop (Withdraw) Courses link or by checking your Student Schedule.

Please note
: you will not be able to waitlist for classes that conflict with other courses your are registered in. You may not register in and waitlist for different sections of the same course.
Consult your instructor and refer to the Academic Calendar. Deferrals are generally only permitted in exceptional circumstances such as illness, family emergencies and scheduling conflicts.
The procedures for appeals and information about appeal deadlines can be found in the Academic Calendar.

After you have taken nine credits as a Mount Royal Student, your academic performance is subject to review after each semester. Should your cumulative GPA fall below 2.0 you will be placed on Academic Warning 1. If your cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 for a subsequent semester within a twelve month period, you will be placed on Academic Warning 2. If your cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 for a third semester within a twelve month period you will be placed on Academic Probation. 

If you are placed on Academic Warning or Academic Probation, you are encouraged to meet with your Academic Advisor for strategies for success. You can also consult the Academic Standing Explained tutorial and the Understanding your GPA tutorial on the Advising website.

After you have taken nine credits as a Mount Royal Student, your academic performance is subject to review after each semester. If your cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 for a four consecutive semesters you will be Required to Withdraw from Mount Royal University for a period of twelve months. Students receive an email notification of academic warning, academic probation and/or required to withdraw after each semester.

If you are Required to Withdraw, you may appeal this decision. Appeal procedures can be found in the Academic Calendar or by contacting Academic Advising Services. Please review the Academic Standing Explained tutorial for more information.
Certificates and Diplomas must be completed within 6 years of initial admission to that program. Degrees must be completed within 8 years of initial admission to that program.
If you plan on receiving a parchment from Mount Royal, you will need to Apply to Graduate before the deadline. Dates for submitting this form can be found in the Academic Calendar and on the Critical Dates page.
Transcripts can be ordered in person at the Office of the Registrar or online, through MyMRU (Register & Pay or My Program tabs)
Upgrading classes at Mount Royal can be used as equivalents to high school classes to fulfill basic admission requirements and act as course prerequisites. However, upgrading classes cannot be used as credit towards graduation requirements. Post-secondary institutions in Alberta accept Mount Royal upgrading courses as a high school equivalent. If you plan on transferring outside of Alberta, check with the institution that you plan to attend to see if they will accept Mount Royal upgrading.
Please visit Campus Services for a comprehensive list of student services. If you are unsure of what service you need, it may be helpful to discuss your situation with an Academic Advisor who can make an appropriate referral. 
You will need to request a Letter of Permission in order to ensure that courses you take at another post-secondary institution will transfer back to MRU. You should be aware that there are deadlines for requesting Letters of Permission which is important if you are close to graduation. 
At this time, there are only a few courses that are offered either in an online-only format or during a block week. You can identify online courses in the Course Registration system by "DD" in the Type column. Block courses will be identified in the Notes section of the Course Registration system.