The Office of Campus Equity and Meaningful Inclusion offers a variety of workshops and events that create opportunities for discussion, growth and community engagement. All offerings are open to students and employees of Mount Royal University.
For a full schedule and to register, please visit here!
Thank you for your interest in The Office of Equity and Meaningful Inclusion (CEMI) Workshops and Trainings at MRU! Prior to your attendance we would like to highlight the type of discussion-based learning space that CEMI would like to create and foster for these opportunities. Given that much of the information covered throughout these workshops is of a sensitive, challenging, and often controversial nature, ensuring that all parties are respected, heard, and included is key.
Keystones of the workshops and trainings will be:
- The creation of a safe, respectful learning environment, which involves self-awareness not only of speech content, but tone, body language, and other non-verbal responses.
- Maintaining the goal of deepened understanding, which does not necessitate agreement or consensus.
- Encouraging self-reflection, self-critique, and self-awareness.
- Each person participating to their fullest ability.
- Encouraging participation of MRU community members of a variety of identities, academic disciplines, socio-cultural backgrounds, and social justice communities.
- Active listening, i.e., respecting others' thoughts, opinions, and convictions, and demonstrating that others’ comments and concerns have been heard.
- Creating an environment in which debate, disagreement, and discomfort are not only welcomed, but enacted safely and respectfully resulting in learning opportunities for all.