Study in Canada – Mount Royal University

Do you want to study in Canada?

Since our beginnings more than 100 years ago, Mount Royal University has been committed to quality post-secondary, undergraduate education in Calgary, Alberta.

We’ve grown to meet the needs of students from around the world in a safe, inclusive environment. Mount Royal boasts some of the highest student satisfaction rates in Canada.

Earn your bachelor’s degree or English language training in Canada at Mount Royal University and you’ll see why we say You Belong Here.

Photo of Mount Royal University's Charlton Pond. Fall foliage and a tower containing a Carillon are in the background.


Learn about admission requirements

Apply early! Application is open from Oct. 1 to April 1. Some programs have a Feb. 1 application and document deadline.

Icon of a calendar.

International admission deadlines

Application — April 1

Documents — May 1

Photo of Mount Royal University's residence. Three people are socializing in a living room.


Apply for a room in student Residence

Living in Residence is more than simply living on campus. It’s a fabulous way to become part of a vibrant community and take your academic success to a higher level.

Applications open on Oct. 1 and are ongoing.

Residence is optional, but highly recommended.

An icon of a house.

New student guarantee

Residence Services guarantees placement for all students enrolled in their first year at Mount Royal. To be eligible for this guarantee, you must apply and pay your security deposit by June 15.

Photo of two students being social in a bedroom in residence.

There are a lot of reasons to live on campus while attending MRU. You can enjoy a modern, fully-furnished, apartment-style home that is close to campus services, like the Library or doctor’s office.

Residence staff live on-site, so we can ensure a positive and safe living and learning space. Plus, Mount Royal has easy access to downtown, shopping and entertainment, but you can live in a quieter location perfect for studying.

Photo of students studying in the Riddell Library and Learning Centre.


Apply for scholarships/awards

Post-secondary education is an investment in your future and we believe tuition should not be a barrier to meeting your goals. International students are eligible for awards at Mount Royal University. Applications are open from Oct. 1 to March 1.

Estimated international student expenses for an academic year (8 months)1

Tuition/fees (based on 10 courses) $21,900
Books and supplies $1,500
Residence/rent2 $6,000
Living expenses and spending money $6,500
Transportation Calgary Transit U-Pass included in fees
Total for international students $35,900

1 Based on 2019/20 fees. Additional fees may apply for specific programs.

2 Based on 2019/20 Residence fees.

Photo of two students leaving the Riddell Library and Learning Centre.


Get your study permit

If you plan to study in Canada for more than six months, you need a study permit from the Government of Canada. Apply for a study permit as soon as you receive your offer of admission from Mount Royal. Applications are made through the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Photo of three students outside East Gate. They are looking at something on a cell phone.
Photo of students socializing in the International Student Support Centre.


Get ready to come to Mount Royal

Prepare in advance to make a smooth transition to living in Canada. From being admitted, getting ready to leave home and arriving in Canada, we've outlined everything you need to do.

An icon of a stylized globe.


The International Student Support Centre (ISSC) provides a dedicated space for students to get information from student leaders who can provide help and connect you with international and Canadian students. You can join events and engage in social and cultural activities. You can also study and practice your language skills by learning from each other.

Take a virtual tour

Mount Royal is a community in more than one sense. You’ll have access to the services you need on campus and quick access to Calgary amenities and world-class tourist destinations.

Meet an international student

International student Trinh Dong poses in front of the Rocky Mountains

Trinh Dong

Bachelor of Communication – Public Relations program
From Vietnam