Policy on Policies and Procedures – outlines a coordinated and consistent process for development, review, approval, communication and administration of all University Policies, Procedures and Guidelines.
MRU’s Policy Definition –
- State the University’s position on issues which have broad application;
- Reflect and uphold the University’s governing principles;
- Identify and prescribe compliance with applicable laws, regulations and other policies;
- Promote operational efficiencies and effectiveness;
- Enhance the University’s mission and strategic plan and/or reduce institutional risk; and
- Provide decision makers with limits, alternatives and guidance.
Approval Authority - the individual or entity with the authority to approve a Policy, Procedure or Guideline, as described in the Policy on Policies and Procedures.
PEC - President's Executive Committee.
DC - Dean's Council (previously referred to as PEC or President's Executive Committee in many policies)
Policy Sponsor - the President or a Vice-President who initially approves of a policy idea to be drafted. The Policy Sponsor may delegate the responsibility for drafting a Policy as well as a communication plan and implementation plan.
Comprehensive Revision – any change to a Policy Document that affects the rules, principles, intent or accountability of the Policy Document.
Editorial Revision – An inconsequential change to a Policy Document that does not affect the Policy Document’s rules, principles, intent or accountability (i.e., position or department title changes).
Policy Document - any document associated with a Policy at the University including Policies, Procedures or Guidelines.
Procedure - a Policy Document that outlines a series of actions related to a Policy that specifies how a particular process will be completed and includes information on the who, what, when and where with respect to the implementation of the Policy.
Guideline - a Policy Document which provides recommended non-mandatory guidance or best practices for the implementation of a Policy and/or Procedure and is aimed at fostering decisions or streamlining particular processes.