Predeparture & arrival

Get ready checklist

Congratulations and welcome to Mount Royal! Getting ready to study abroad can involve a lot of paperwork. Here is a list to help make a smooth start to your time here.

COVID-19 isolation information for International students

What to do after being admitted

  • Activate your MyMRU account. MyMRU is your online registration portal, fee payment system and one-stop information site for all things Mount Royal. Visit
  • Accept your offer and pay the Tuition Deposit. Congratulations! You can accept your offer of (conditional or final) admission online. You will also need to pay a non-refundable $425 Tuition Deposit by the date specified in your admission offer to reserve your spot. Be sure to review your offer of admission for any conditions that need to be met and the corresponding deadlines. If you have any conditions to meet, these conditions will be outlined in your conditional admission letter.
  • Get your study permit/student visa - If you will be studying in Canada for more than six months, you need a study permit from the Government of Canada. To find out about applying for a study permit, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website or contact the nearest Canadian Visa Office (Embassy, High Commission or Consulate) to apply for a study permit/student visa. There are timelines and many steps to follow, so we recommend looking into the process right away.

    Mount Royal University is a Designated Learning Institution as per IRCC Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and is permitted to host international students on a study permit. Here is a list of Mount Royal’s designated learning programs. The University's DLI number is located on your visa letter.

    A study permit is not an entry document. Depending on your country of citizenship, you will automatically be issued a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when your permit is approved. If you plan to travel outside of Canada while on a study permit, ensure that you have the proper, valid documents to re-enter the country.
  • Start using your MRU email - We will communicate important information to you through your MRU email account. Check your email often.
  • Get advised - For support selecting the appropriate classes, you can review advising information online or contact your academic advisor. You can also check your mruGradU8 to track your progress.
  • Register for courses online - Register for your courses on MyMRU on or after the date specified in your admission package.
  • Pay your fees by the required deadline to finalize your registration.

Before you leave home

  • Find accommodation - Living on campus is convenient, fun and affordable. New students are guaranteed a room in Residence if they apply and pay the security deposit by June 15.
  • Apply for health care coverage - students who have a 12-month study permit and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan coverage. Visit their website and read the information under International Students to find out more.
  • Book your flight - check move-in dates for Residence or if renting on your own, make sure you know when you can move in. If you wish to move in before the Residence move-in day, contact Residence at or by phone at +1 403.440.6275. Rental agreements for housing off-campus usually start at the beginning of each month.
  • Check with your airline for baggage weight limits.
  • Plan transportation from the airport. Taking a taxi from the airport is the easiest way to get to Mount Royal. If you are staying in Residence, it is best to arrive during the day. If you arrive after office hours, you will need to call the Residence Advisor at +1 403.542.8215. For further questions, contact Residence at or by phone at +1 403.440.6275.
  • Decide on banking arrangements. (see below for a list of banks near campus).
  • Pack suitable clothing - you may want to wait until you get here to purchase your winter clothing. Temperatures can range from an average daytime high in July of 24C to -3C in January and it will likely be easier to find weather-appropriate clothing here in Canada.

What to bring with you

What to pack in your carry-on luggage

  • Your Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from Mount Royal.
  • When you arrive in Canada, the Canadian Border Services Agency will require you to have specific documents to enter Canada. Carry the original copies of these documents with you at all times and not in your checked luggage. Consider making copies of your documents and store in a cloud, such as Google.
  • Canadian currency for the first few days ($200 - $300 Canadian dollars).
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
  • Any medical records and prescriptions such as:
    • Records of the medical exam you completed for your immigration documentation.
    • A copy of your medical records (in English), particularly if you have a chronic medical condition.
    • Any prescription medications in their original packaging and a prescription from your physician.
  • Government-issued identification (birth certificate, valid passport).
  • Full mailing address (with postal code) and phone number for your destination (where you will stay when you arrive).
  • List of emergency contacts in Canada and your home country. Including your friends and family.
  • Booking confirmation for flights or other travel arrangements.
  • Electronics (cell phone, camera, laptop, chargers).
  • Power adapter if applicable (see Plug and Socket Types).

What to pack in your checked luggage

  • References from your previous employers or teachers if you plan on seeking employment in Canada.
  • Personal items that will remind you of home such as pictures, books, etc.
  • If you are staying in Residence you will be provided with a bed kit that you can use for the first two weeks of your stay. By the end of the two weeks, you will need to get your own linens and return the bed kit to the Residence office.
  • We recommend waiting until you arrive in Canada to purchase other items that you may need for your living accommodations.
  • Don’t pack any winter clothing. It’s best to buy your outdoor gear when you get to Canada so that it’s made for Canadian weather. 
  • Traditional clothing from your culture (to showcase during International Education Week)

When you arrive in Canada

  • Provide all required entry documents to Customs and Immigration upon arrival.
  • Obtain your Study Permit from a Canadian Border Services Agent at the airport.
  • Open a bank account. The following banks are located near campus:
  • Full-time Mount Royal students automatically receive supplementary health and dental care benefits through the Students' Association at Mount Royal University. If you already have comparable coverage, you can opt-out of the plan.
  • Meet your program advisor. They can help guide you as you choose your courses or they can review your courses to make sure you are registered in the correct courses for your program. 
  • Pick up your OneCard. This card is your official Mount Royal University identification card that lets you access University services such as the Library, Recreation and Residence.
  • Pick up your U-Pass. The U-Pass allows you to travel on Calgary transit (buses and C-train). If you are a full-time student, the fee is included in your tuition fees.
  • Get a cell phone plan. There are plenty of providers, so find the best plan for you.
  • Attend New Student Orientation. Get ready for life at Mount Royal from day one.
  • Explore Calgary. Take the time to explore your beautiful new home.
  • Go to your first day of classes! We hope you enjoy your time in Canada.
  • Optional: Be sure you understand the eligibility requirements to work in Canada. One of the documents you will require is a Social Insurance Number (SIN).