Income Tax

Income tax information

Social Insurance Number collection for government reportingDue to changes in the Canadian Income Tax Act, Mount Royal University is now required to collect Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) for the production of T2202 tax forms (to replace the current T2202A form). Visit the Government of Canada website to learn more.

This change applies to students enrolled in credit, continuing education and conservatory programs.

Your Social Insurance Number is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or access government programs.
A pop-up will appear when you are initiating a transaction in MyMRU (like registering for classes or paying your fees). You will have the option to enter your information, decline, or to provide your SIN at a later time. If we already have your SIN on file, you will not receive a prompt.
A T2202 is a tax form that allows students registered in a qualifying educational program to claim eligible tuition fees and textbook amounts where applicable. This will be replacing the T2202A form.
You can update your SIN by logging into MyMRU and going to My Program>Personal Information> Update my Social Insurance Number
You can refer to your income tax return or you can request a confirmation of SIN.
Information on how to apply for a SIN can be found on the Government of Canada's website.
No, email is not a secure platform. You can update your SIN by logging into MyMRU and going to My Program>Personal Information> Update my Social Insurance Number.
It is your option to decline. You will not be penalized.
Only Mount Royal employees that require your SIN to perform their job duties will have access. Your information is secure under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Yes, students who are non-residents of Canada should provide a SIN if they have one. If you don't have a SIN and are a non-resident, it's not required.
Other income tax information
To be eligible for a tuition tax credit:
  • students must have total tuition fees exceeding $100 in a taxation year
  • the program of study must last at least three consecutive weeks and at least 12 hours per month

A qualifying full-time educational program is a program that lasts at least three consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 10 hours of instruction or work in the program each week (not including study time).

A program is not considered a qualifying educational program if the student receives from an arm's length person an allowance, benefit, grant, or reimbursement for expenses (not including a scholarship, fellowship, bursary, or prize for achievement; or certain benefits by way of loans or financial assistance under certain government legislation).

A specified part-time educational program is one that lasts at least three consecutive weeks and requires at least 12 hours of instruction each month on courses.

Official Tuition and Education Amount Certificates (T2202A) will be available online at MyMRU after Feb. 28 each year for the previous calendar year.

How to generate your T2202A

  1. Log in to MyMRU
  2. Select My Program
  3. Select T2202A Form under Tax Forms - Student
  4. Select the tax year you require
  5. Select Submit
  • If you have questions about the information on your tax form, email
  • Academic upgrading courses are not eligible
  • Forms will not be automatically mailed to students.
You may find it helpful to visit the MyMRU online tutorial if:
  • you have not accessed MyMRU before and would like to set up an account
  • you don't know you MyMRU user name

You may also want to visit the MyMRU Log-in Problems page if you are experiencing technical difficulties with MyMRU.

Please remember to write down your user name and password somewhere safe as you will need it to log into MyMRU to print your tax form.

If you are still experiencing technical difficulties, contact the ITS Help Desk for more information.

Copies of a current or prior T2202A will require an email to Please include your student ID number and the year of the T2202A you are requesting.

Each year Mount Royal receives hundreds of return mailings because many students did not update their addresses. The majority of returned mailings are never claimed. In an effort to cut back on the waste, the web is a perfect solution.

Mount Royal also aims to provide students with more self-service options via the web.

You must have your son or daughter print it off of their MyMRU account.

Note: Students must use the Tuition & Education Credit Certificate (T2202A) on their own tax return until the Federal Tax payable is reduced to zero, after which the student may then transfer the balance of the credit to another eligible party using the reverse side of the T2202A form, as per the Income Tax Act. This requires the student's signature.

Please note that there is an official policy and legislation regarding the release of student information which is intended to protect an individual student's right to privacy and the confidentiality of his/her record.

Contact the Registrar's Office by phone. There is a $10 charge per certificate.
  • To be eligible for the tuition tax credit, the total of such eligible fees paid to an educational institution in Canada for the year must exceed $100.
  • The calendar year for which the fees are paid, not the date on which the fees are paid, is used to calculate eligible tuition fees.
  • Tuition fees paid for courses that extend beyond the calendar year-end will be pro-rated on the T2202A according to the period of course delivery pertaining to each calendar year.

EXAMPLE - if a course has an Oct. 1 start date and a March 31 end date, only 50% of the tuition fee representing the October through December period will be reflected in the current year tax credit certificate.

The remaining 50%, representing January through March, will be reflected on the following year's T2202A.

Eligible fees: tuition (including initial credit fee), international tuition differential, lab fees, athletic fees, PLAR fees, application fees, spring surcharge, co-op/work term fees, continuing education tuition, conservatory tuition, aviation flying fees

Ineligible fees: academic upgrading (as these are not post-secondary level), student association fees including health and dental insurance fees and student insurance fees.

The student's tax receipts will reflect only the eligible fees, not all the fees that may have been paid.

EXAMPLE - for credit students, the tax receipt will be at least $190.35 less per semester than the actual amount paid for a full-time program and at least $48.70 less than the actual amount paid per part-time course.

Receipts issued will cover only terms or sessions attended during each particular taxation (calendar) year. As a consequence:

  • Amounts paid for Winter semester will not be included, even if the fees were paid in December (prior to the start of the Winter semester).
  • Only amounts for studies taken from January to December will be covered by the T2202A certificate.

Students may be eligible for the education tax credit for each month of part-time or full-time registration.

The T2202A Tuition and Education Credit Certificate will reflect the number of months of enrolment that are eligible to be considered as part-time or full-time study.

Further details concerning the Tuition and Education Tax Credit may be found on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website or by contacting a CRA district taxation office.

According to Canada Revenue Agency, a student in an applied degree or work term is considered eligible for the education amount only during the months attending the educational institution.

Thus, students who are on their work terms would not be eligible for the education amount during those months.

The T2202A process used to determine the number of eligible months has been changed to reflect CRA regulations. Part-time students only receive a month if the program involves a minimum of 12 hours on courses per calendar month.

When terms end part way through a month, part-time students cannot achieve the required 12 hours in that particular month. Since the minimum of 12 hours per month is not obtained, the month cannot be awarded.

Note: The above is for informational purposes only. The information is not intended as taxation advice and should not be relied upon in the preparation of a taxation return. Taxpayers should consult with a qualified taxation consultant or Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to determine how their own circumstances are affected.