Indigenous Funding

Indigenous Funding

If you're not quite sure how to pay for your education, or whether you're eligible for funding, we can help. The following types of funding options are available to Indigenous students:


If you are a sponsored student  and have been approved to have your tuition and mandatory fees billed to a third party (employer/sponsoring agency - Advancing Futures/Band), you must ensure that all proper documentation is forwarded to Financial Services before each fee deadline.

Learn more about the third-party billing sponsorship procedure

For more information email


If you are a resident of Alberta, you can apply for government loans online at If you live outside Alberta, look into applying for student loan assistance from your home province or territory. Benefits include:

  • Automatic assessment for grants
  • Interest-free status while you study
  • Deferral of tuition fee payment

If you are receiving Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada/Band Funds, you can still apply for Government Student Loans should you require additional funding. You will, however, need to declare these funds as a resource on your application.

If you declared your Indigenous status on your original application, you are exempt from the requested federal student contribution and your eligibility for federal student aid may increase.

Contact the Office of the Registrar to learn more about government student loans and for assistance with filling out your student loan application.

Scholarships and bursaries

All Mount Royal students can apply for awards listed at from Nov. 1 to March 1. Be sure to declare your Indigenous status on the awards application to also be considered for these specific awards. Proof of ancestry may be an additional requirement for scholarships and bursaries.