Find answers to your questions about the many functions of Facilities Management. If you can''t find your answer here, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the space audit?
The annual space audit of MRU’s campus will begin June 10th and be conducted over the following two months. Facilities Management staff will enter all rooms in order to update space information. Pictures may be taken to record the condition of finishes, furniture layouts, and equipment.
This work is being done under the authority of Mount Royal's Space Planning Committee, chaired by Annalise Van Ham, Vice-president, Finance and Administration.
- This annual audit is completed for the following reasons:
- To update room amenity information for the booking of meetings and classrooms
- To determine the current condition of facilities, including flooring, wall finishes, ceilings, windows, and other similar features.
- To report its allocation of space to Alberta Infrastructure, which has funding implications relative to the Government’s Post-Secondary Institutions Space Classification System.
- To assist Facility Management in completing employee/asset moves, space planning, renovation projects, and for the operational maintenance of $916M worth of buildings/assets.
- Facilities Management is the stewart and user of the information and Information Technology is the steward of the software that houses the data.
Any questions can be directed to Tiffany Hansen at 403-440-5578 or Grant Sommerfeld at 403-440-6419.
Tentative Schedule:Please note - these dates are subjective to change. Check back for updates.
June 10, 2019 - July 8, 2019
Main Building ( Q&R)
July 8, 2019 - August 15, 2019
Main Building (except rooms located in Q&R)
Long range planning for optimum use of these valuable University assets is a continuing process. Spaces are classified based on its primary use when constructed and are categorized as per Alberta Infrastructure Post Secondary Institutions’ Space Classification System. Assignable spaces are designated to a certain faculty/department according to the Space Policy. The Space Planning Committee oversees the allocation, utilization, designation and management of all spaces on campus as governed by the Space Policy.
Example 1: You have an office that you would like to make into two offices.
To add another person + furniture to an office is considered a capacity change. Navigate to Frontline – Client – Create Service Request – Room Capacity Change. Submit the form, and a representative from Environmental Health & Safety will follow up with you.
Example 2: You have a boardroom or study space that you would like to make into two offices.
To request a permanent space designation use change to a space already designated to your department, complete the Space Designation/Use Change form found at: Frontline - Client - Create Service Request - Space Designation/Use Change. Fill out the pdf form and have your Dean/AVP and VP sign it. Submit to email@example.com and the Manager, Strategic Space Utilization will follow up with you.
Example 3: The old library space is vacant and you would like this space for your department.
To request a permanent change of designation to a space not currently designated to your department, especially highly sought after newly vacant spaces, you will need to submit a Prioritize space request. Prioritize provides standard criteria for ranking, is a fair and transparent process, and equips Space Planning Committee with list of proposed projects reflecting composite measure of “benefit”. Navigate to Frontline - Client - Create Service Request – New Space Requests. The link will open the Prioritize software.
• Note: Prioritize space requests are reviewed bi-annually by the Space Planning Committee. Please see the Space Request Deadlines here.
Example 4: You would like to use the Terrace Room, temporarily re-designating it from a food service space.
Terrace Room booking can be scheduled by contacting MRU Scheduling. During Fall and Winter semesters this space can only be booked after 4pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
To request temporary change of designation to this space, complete the Space Designation/Use Change form found at: Frontline - Client - Create Service Request - Space Designation/Use Change. Fill out the pdf form and have your Dean/AVP and VP sign it. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and the Manager, Strategic Space Utilization will follow up with you.
• Note: All space designation and/or use change requests must be signed by department AVP/faculty Dean and approved by Division VP PRIOR to submitting Space Planning Committee for review and approval. In some instances, a change to a space’s functional use may result in architectural, structural, mechanical or electrical updates. In such cases, a renovation request will also need to be completed.