Bachelor of Health and Physical Education – Sport and Recreation Management
Change starts at the community level, and that change needs a champion like you. Lead the movement in your community by helping to support our economic and social future by changing attitudes that lead to sedentary lifestyles and resulting health implications. Sport and recreation are big business. By combining your interest in sports with a solid understanding of business, you will be well positioned for an exciting career in this multi-billion dollar industry. As a leader and wellness advocate, you will work actively in the community to structure and promote opportunities for citizens to get active. Create opportunities for members of your community to become active and engaged by supporting children, youth, adults and seniors alike through organizing and facilitating grassroots physical activity and recreation programming. Leave your legacy by helping to build a healthy and active community.
With courses offered in conjunction with the Bissett School of Business, you will be prepared not only to work on the frontline with community members, but also confidently manage the business aspects required to operate sport and recreation facilities.
Throughout each year of the four-year program, experiential learning components in- and outside the classroom will allow you to put classroom theory into practice and gain the valuable skills that will support you later on in your career. A fourth-year capstone course will help to bring your learning together and prepare you for the workforce or graduate/professional studies.
You will gain fundamental knowledge and skills in:
- program development
- sport, athletic or recreation centre management
- community development
- lifetime leisure
The BHPE — Sport and Recreation Management equips students with foundational knowledge by building upon the curriculum/courses previously offered in the highly-regarded Bachelor of Applied Sport and Recreation Management program, to provide a four-year degree that is supported by a balance of General Education courses and work experience components, which gives students the option to add a minor to complement their major.
Graduates of the BHPE — Sport and Recreation Management generally find work at recreation facilities, sport centres, universities and colleges, community organizations or as sport consultants. Some graduates may start their own businesses.
Your job title could be:
- Director of community relations — promote teams and players throughout the community.
- Athletic services coordinator — be responsible for athletes’ training, travel and long-term development.
- Executive director — take a leadership role in the overall operations of a sports and recreation company.
- Marketing manager — use your detailed understanding of a company to create and implement a marketing strategy that will help move the organization forward.
Students are encouraged to participate in research in this growing field. Current faculty research topics include:
- Olympic bids — how to host the games
- sport and recreation community program impact
- marketing strategies within sport and recreation